The Bond Thread

Anything, really ANYTHING that comes up in your brain!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

The Bond Thread

Post by Dead Parrot »

Howdy Folks,

We were discussing the James Bond film franchise in another thread. I thought it would be appropriate to start a dedicated thread here.

I've been a fan of the films since I was a kid, and have read a few of Ian Fleming's orginal novels when I was a teenager. Haven't gotten around to reading any of the John Gardner novels though. Believe me, there's a huge difference between Fleming's books and the movies. That's not really a bad thing in my never to be humble opinion.

Since most people are more familiar with the films I'll stick to them for this post.

Sean Connery of course is the actor most associated with Bond. He set the (some would say impossibly high) standard. I really liked Connery's portrayal of Bond. If you're going to be typecast then this is the role.

George Lazenby gets a pretty bad rap for his one outing as Bond. I suppose he could have grown into the role, but it should be remembered that he had very little acting experience at the time. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a very important Bond film it's own right because Bond finally married, and then was widowed.

Roger Moore brought a less serious tone to the role I thought. He was capable of returning the series to it's action roots as wonderfully demonstrated in the Paris, France sequence of A View to a Kill and in a pure espionage role in For Your Eyes Only (which had some fantastic action sequences). FYEO was also probably closer to the spirit of the original novels than any of the later films.

Personally, I also really liked Timothy Dalton. He acted more like the Ian Fleming Bond, much more cold-blooded and cynical, yet he could toss off Roger Moore style one-liners with equal ease. The Living Daylights, his first outing as Bond is my second favorite film. The sequence of Bond and Kara's escape in the Aston-Martin is one of the best in the film series. This movie also contains the funniest Q Branch scene when they test the "Ghetto Blaster".

And there's a Harrier S/VTOL jet...a very cool piece of technology.

But now to the best: Goldfinger.

Goldfinger is the perfect James Bond movie. I could watch it over and over.

Connery is Bond, and Gert Frobe doing a "Grand Slam" job as Auric Goldfinger. Tilly Masterson driving a brand new Mustang (yum), but using an AR-7 to try to kill Goldfinger!? Come on honey, get yourself a real rifle!

Love the tricked out Aston Martin. They really wimped out going with BMW later in the series.

This film set up the formula that most of the later films followed: an action-oriented prequel, famous theme song, M giving him the mission and the Q branch scenes, followed by globehopping supense and climaxed by Bond defeating the big bad while the military mops up the henchmen.

I thought Oddjob was a very effective villan. Much more menacing and dangerous than Eeegah, uh, Jaws who was humanized and then turned.

Now, let's talk about Honor Blackman and her Flying Circus. The ultimate verbal exchange of the whole series takes place in this movie after Bond regains consciousness on Goldfinger's plane as they fly back to America.

Galore: My name is Pussy Galore.

Bond: (slight smirk) I must be dreaming.

Major props for getting Blackman's character's name past the censors. Her female pilots are all quite delectable with their tight jumpsuits and bullet bras.

I also loved the scene where Goldfinger explains his plans to the mob honchos. His villain character was probably the most well developed of any in the series, even moreso than Blofeld. Goldfinger is a showman at heart and his presentation, maps and models were a great way for him to dive into that part of his psyche.

Lastly, there's a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in the movie. How could you not love a movie that features KFC? :S

For pure escapist fantasy though I prefer The Spy Who Loved Me or You Only Live Twice. Implausible, over-the-top but great, great fun.

Now, which Bond girl? Well, it's tough to beat Ursula Andress, the very first Bond girl who played "Honey Ryder" (gotta love the names they gave these girls) in Dr. No. I also liked Talisa Soto, Lupe Lamora, from License to Kill. And of course, Teri Hatcher and Michelle Yeoh from Tomorrow Never Dies. Each girl in each film is "the one" in her own right, so it's difficult to choose, especially when you also have Diana Rigg, Jane Seymour, and Myriam D'Abo in the other films.

More later...

DP

Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
kingdom

Post by kingdom »

Very nice thread DP. Well written, and all I could say is I'm never going to be as well versed as you would be my dear friend.

I would have to agree with you that Goldfinger was THE Bond Film. I loved the Aston and I loved the wit from Goldfinger himself. "No Mr. Bond I expect you to die!" That is the line every sinister evil villain should have.

So I'm getting off the point here. The reason why I loved this movie so much is because that was the very first footsie scene (in spite of it being on the bed) I have ever seen in my life. Mind you when I saw this movie at a young tender age of 8 in 1986 it left a very impressionable image with me. That this is no longer a taboo. I loved how they just pulled it off, and from then on I was hooked onto the series. I even loved how they had another one from Diamonds are Forever where she stroked his back ever so briefly and seductively at the same time.

Now for the ultimate Bond girl. It would have to be either Maud Adams from Octopussy and The Man with the Golden Gun, or Dr. Goodhead from Moonraker. I loved Dr. Goodhead because she's now a professor at the University of Houston drama department. She's still hot for her ripe 50 something age.

Anyways, that's my contribution. Anyone want to throw in a few words? Great thread....
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

kingdom wrote:I loved the wit from Goldfinger himself. "No Mr. Bond I expect you to die!"
His follow-up was great too, "Choose your next witticism carefully Mr. Bond, it may be your last."
kingdom wrote:Now for the ultimate Bond girl. It would have to be either Maud Adams from Octopussy and The Man with the Golden Gun,
Anyways, that's my contribution.
Ahh yes, the only "double timer" Bond girl if you don't count Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny. Curious why that never happened. :S

Music has also been a big part of the Bond films as well. The 007 Theme is probably one of the most recognizable pieces of music around.

Then there's the individual movie theme song, always done by a top voice or band. Live and Let Die is my favorite and I even like the Guns n Roses remake. As far as the secondary tracks Where Has Everybody Gone by The Pretenders is a great one too (that's from The Living Daylights).

DP

kingdom

Post by kingdom »

But alas, the past two Bond villians from the Pierce Brosnan era are total wussies. But I cannot wait to see another footsie scene from a Bond film. But of course that's like asking Sean Connery to return to portray as a villain. Just not going to happen. Who is your next vote for Bond DP?
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I think Colin Firth would make a great bond! :ooook:
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

kingdom wrote:Who is your next vote for Bond DP?
Ha, looks like the decision has already been made. The Daily Mail (I think) came out with Daniel Craig as the new James Bond.

For me it almost doesn't matter who plays Bond as long as certain things happen.

1) Whoever is picked must stick with the franchise for at least four films. James Bond is a like a brand name, and there is no longer an actor associated with the franchise to put a face on the 21st Century Bond. Everybody links Connery and Moore to Bond, but that was 20+ years ago. Who is Bond now? They need to put a consistent face with the brand name.

2) Good writing. Bond films used to set the standard on action, stunts, beautiful women and exotic locations. Now all of that is pretty much standard fare for the "summer blockbuster". Whoever pens the scripts for the next few films must find a way to differentiate the Bond films from all of the other crap out there. Otherwise the franchise will slowly die.

This will be difficult because most of the films follow a predictable formula. But a good script (i.e. Goodwill Hunting) combined with innovative cinematography (i.e. Saving Private Ryan) may carry the day.

3) Stuff the thought control PC bullshit up the studios ass. The character of James Bond lives just as hard as he fights. He is larger than life and represents an heroic archetype.

He does not quit smoking, he does not cut back on womanizing, nor give his enemies a fair fight or angst like a 16 year old girl.

When I go to see a Bond film I want to see the ghost of Sean Connery thinking, fighting and fucking his way through a series of offbeat adventures to kill the big bad and save the world.

To sum up: I want old school Bond with first class writing and effects.

DP

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

We will see! :)
kingdom

Post by kingdom »

I think Dalton brought that back wih his first try in the Living Daylights. To me that was a great Bond film that brought back a lot of Connery in Bond. Brosnan revived the franchise, but it was much too "Hollywood" Hopefully with this new guy craig daniel or whatever might be better. But I was really hoping for Clive Owen. Oh well.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Not a bad choice kingdom, didn't think of him! :)
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Another Bond candidate for me would be Jason Statham! :)
Footsiefreak

Post by Footsiefreak »

Daniel Craig proved me wrong as "James Blond" he was very hypnotic as Bond.