STS-121 So Far So Good...

Anything, really ANYTHING that comes up in your brain!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

STS-121 So Far So Good...

Post by Dead Parrot »

I haven't posted any space news in a while, but this mission is important, and worrisome.

So far so good though. The launch was clean and NASA did a good job with both audio and video feed (and the various camera shots were amazing!).

Now the mission should continue as most all others have now that they've achieved orbit: head to the International Space Station and drop off German Astronaut Thomas Reiter. They'll also replenish the stores aboard the ISS and add some new experiment modules.

Now the hard part. At present NASA is looking at all the launch imagery to determine if Discovery's heat shield was damaged. On the way to the ISS the shuttle crew will use cameras and lasers on a "boom" to search for any missing or chipped tiles on the leading edge of the wings.

In addition, the ship will make an inverted approach to the ISS so that the station's crew can make a close up inspection of the underside.

NASA does have a rescue mission contingency in place. If Discovery has suffered damage that prevents its return to Earth then the crew will live onboard the International Space Station until the shuttle Atlantis can be launched to pick them up. Of course Atlantis will face the same risks of damage on liftoff as Discovery. (Endeavor is still being upgraded so it is not available.)

The run up from decision to the mission will take over a month, but the crews can survive on the ISS for almost three months. There is also a plan in place to land Discovery unmanned by remote control if the crew transfers to Atlantis.

I should also note that there are no plans at present that call for repairing the heat sheild while the shuttle is in orbit.

This is what is frustrating (to me anyway). The launch technology is basically the same as it was in 1981. Side mounted payloads are vulnerable to the chipping foam and ice of the External Booster Tank. After all these years and billions of dollars it's still almost a crap shoot.

Also maddening is that the U.S. does not possess a single launch and return spacecraft like the Russian Soyuz. Such a craft, a top mounted payload mind you, could be launched unmanned and docked at the ISS by remote control.

Note that there is an empty three man Soyuz docked at the ISS. This must remain for the permanent ISS crew if they need to evacuate.

Well, for now, keep your fingers crossed. There is a lot riding on this mission beyond even what I've outlined here.

Don't give up on space travel and exploration, it's our species only hope for continued existence and improvement.

DP

ykantickleme

Post by ykantickleme »

Yes, D.P. I thinking the same thing. I've been praying for them for recently, and I am hoping for the best, too. This mission is too important to fail. But I believe things will go well for them.

KEEP DISCOVERY IN YOUR PRAYERS!!! :ooook: :ooook:

YKANTICKLEME
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Great end to a great mission! They landed in Florida today after a relatively trouble free experience.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shutt ... index.html

There's still lots to do, both for NASA and us little boosters who hope to become a Saturn V one day.

For now, welcome home STS-121!

DP
Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.