Hardware/Software Recommendations Please...

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Hardware/Software Recommendations Please...

Post by Dead Parrot »

I'm going to take the plunge here soon, in the next month or two and buy a whole new system.

I'd like your recommendations. Here's what I'd want:

1. Tower unit with the ability to play DVD's.
2. Something fast enough so that I'm not watching MPGs and WMVs like they are flip books.
3. A larger monitor, perhaps flat screen?
4. Software to capture videos and edit them, also to add music/dialogue.
5. Software to create and animate figures.
6. The best firewall/virus protection.
7. Speakers.
8. Ergonomic mouse.
9. Software to make phone calls on the PC.

Any help is appreciated.

DP

nyllover
Admin
Admin

Re: Hardware/Software Recommendations Please...

Post by nyllover »

Uhmm...i'm out of that "market" since quite a while,. as the pc i have is ok for me, but let's see if i can give some tips at least.

First of all, have a look at Dell and HP website. They both make some really good and not so expensive computers with everything you need in them.

1. Tower unit with the ability to play DVD's.

This shouldn't be a problem, any computer that you buy today should be able to play DVDs without much troubles.

2. Something fast enough so that I'm not watching MPGs and WMVs like they are flip books.

Same as above, just be sure to don't get less than 512MB of RAM (1GB would be best)

3. A larger monitor, perhaps flat screen?

I have 19" flat LCD screen from Sony. I can't say anything else but GO FOR IT. Amazing quality, big screen, clear view and, more important, not so much space on your desk.

4. Software to capture videos and edit them, also to add music/dialogue.

To capture videos you also need an hardware piece. Pinnacle has the best solutions for this. (Pinnacle Studio can be bought among with a video capture card at a not so expensive price)

5. Software to create and animate figures.

I'm not an expert in this one... can't really say anything!

6. The best firewall/virus protection.

Virus protection -> AVG Free version. It's a free antivirus and does the job in a good way. ( http://free.grisoft.com/ )
For firewall...err... Zone Alarm, i think. But, again, i'm not an expert as i just use the standard XP one...i think you need a special one only if someone is really trying to target your pc. For normal, random attacks, the XP one does the job for me.

7. Speakers.

You could do the same i did: they are included in the LCD Monitor. An all in one who, again, saves space on your desk and does the job. (providing you don't want the super high quality sound that just some dedicated hardware provides...but i'm not an expert in this (again!))

8. Ergonomic mouse.

Err... go to a shop and ask to try them! Logitech and Microsoft usually sells good things.

9. Software to make phone calls on the PC.

I use VoIpBuster, but i know that in USA there are a lot of alternatives. The most famous is Skype which is good. In any case, anyone is good if you use one of those headphones that include a microphone with noise reduction (you can buy one from Creative at about 20$!)

That's all...i hope some of this tips will come to help

:)
Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.
Feeture Feature

Post by Feeture Feature »

Here's my two-cents worth on the topic. I agree with Nyllover in most cases. Some additional points, for fast video downloading, your Internet connection should be broadband. As for a monitor, you want a flat panel as opposed to a flat screen. If you really get into the video editing, you may want Windows Media Edition (I don't have it, so I can't say how good it is.)

I have an AverMedia video capture card and TV tuner, which I am very satisfied with (great connection capability--can feed in cable, VCR and DVD player and copy protection does not bother it, can even set it up to record like VCR to hard drive and display 16 channels at once on monitor) and it was only $35. The only thing I had to check on was how to capture sound and the FAQ on the Aver Web site had the answer easily available. Capture cards and USB devices have improved since I bought mine (I even think Aver offers a high definition capture now.) I don't do editing (too time-consuming) except for Virtual Dub compression and cutting so I can't comment on the software but Pinnacle often is mentioned as a good choice.

I recommend getting an external hard drive no matter what size internal hard drive you get. It's handy to keep the video separate.

Good luck.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Thank you gentlemen!

I'm making my list and will start looking around next weekend.

Besides more speed and power there's a few things that I want to start doing that I can't do now. It's impossible to design a decent spacecraft and accessories using MS Paint :crash:

I'll let you know what I eventually end up buying.

DP
3oclockkickoff

Post by 3oclockkickoff »

Hi,

What did you end up buying, then, DP?
ny2neyme

Just a thought...

Post by ny2neyme »

For the sake of simplicity, and less hassle, get a Mac. It sounds like you mainly want multimedia and some sort of graphic design capability on your machine. Adobe products are perfect for your design needs. The Mac should be perfect for your needs...not to mention it's less susceptible to virii.

I'll say this...if it weren't for Microsoft, I wouldn't have a job (IT Support)
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

I agree with ny2neyme.
To be honest, i'm more than happy with Windows XP, but now that Vista came out..... well, i am starting to think that, when Microsoft will force me to install Vista (because it will, sooner or later), i will probably switch to Mac.

I don't know when it will be (probably 3/4 years?), but at that time i will probably switch to Mac.
Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.