PC versus Console for Video Games

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

PC versus Console for Video Games

Post by Dead Parrot »

Gentlemen,

What are your thoughts and experiences regarding platforms for video games?

Advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'm thinking of getting back into gaming, and my primary interest will be in World War II themed sims. I was looking specifically at Silent Hunter 3, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, and European Air War.

Any help is appreciated.

DP

hiker
Mod
Mod

Post by hiker »

Hey DP,

I'm not what you'd call a "gamer", but I do own a Playstation 2 that I primarily play sport themed games with... or used to, anyway.

Other than that, I don't know much about these things. However, I will say that the graphics on the new Playstation 3 are unbelievable. I was walking through Circuit City this afternoon and they had a demo set up that a young kid was playing... unreal (I had to have one after seeing this, and got a good laugh out of one of the reps when I asked if they had any. Apparently these things are extremely sold out. What do I know?)

Anyway, unless you have a newer "gaming" PC, I would imagine that graphics are better on a console... if that's what your looking for. The portability that you would have with a console is also a major plus.

Provided that you own a PC, which I'm assuming you do, the only advantage on this side would be not having to buy a console.

My 2 cents anyway. May someone with more knowledge on the topic can chime in for you.
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

I was a heavy PC gamer and PC lover...till i started having a regular job.

Why? Easy..... free time. When you don't have that much free time, you find it easier to play with a console. A PC always needs upgrades, taking care of it, checking for viruses bla bla bla. Moreover, a PC without games is a PC you can use better. Some heavy operations (like a full system virus scan) can be run on the PC while you play at the console.

My 2 cents are that the ONLY reason to play with a PC is if, and only if, you want to play with games where a mouse is needed. IN the old times there was Command & Conquerer, Sim City, Civilization and so on. I think you got what i think.

If you want to play arcade games or action games or anyway games where all happens in real time, then a console is the way to go.

I bouth a Playstation 2 5 or 6 months ago (so i didn't pay for it a fortune) and i will keep it for sure for a couple of years, then maybe i'll buy a Playstation 3.
And boy.... i LOVE playing Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on my PS2 :lol:
Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.
Babylove
Mod
Mod

Post by Babylove »

For me, I play BOTH PC & console games. And I agree with Nyl when he compared the advantages and disadvantages on PC games. When a new video game console comes out (i.e; PS3), it's an updated version of its predecessor. With a PC, you have to update EVERYTHING! From the video cards to processors, to mobos and hard drives. It can be time consuming and pricey, but in the end... it's all worth it. And Nyl is also right on the time you spend playing video games, in compairing the PC and the game consoles. But for some reason, I got a deep craving for Warcraft, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Ever Quest and The Sims.

Right now, I'm building a new PC (for high powered gaming, and everything else), and I'll be getting the XBox 360, and even the Nintendo DS Lite. Call me a big kid, but I can't help it. I'm a big boy with big toys!
NOTE: Remember this smiley? That's the bubble dragon for the old arcade classic "Bubble Bobble". I used to play that game like crazy. Man, the good ol' days!
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I'm going to do some window shopping this weekend and check out both the systems you mentioned as well as some games that were recommended on various World War Two forums.

If anyone else wants to chime in with a thought please do so, otherwise I'll yell if anything else comes up.

Happy New Year!

DP

BL - do you have a smiley of the original Mario from Donkey Kong?
Crowe

Post by Crowe »

I play PC WW2 games as well, mainly Day of Defeat source and occasionally Call of Duty 2. However, I'm getting irritated at how much I have to keep buying new hardware to keep up with PC gaming. I've decided I'm going to buy an Xbox 360 this year. Currently, Xbox 360 and PS3 look very, very, similiar. Not until the last year of this generation's development will you see a big differance. I decided on the Xbox 360 for better games. Halo 3 and the Gears of War trilogy mostly. As far as WW2 games, Xbox 360 has Call of Duty 2, 3, and in the works is Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway.
Babylove
Mod
Mod

Post by Babylove »

Dead Parrot wrote:BL - do you have a smiley of the original Mario from Donkey Kong?
You mean these, DP?

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

That's the one! Thanks, it harkens back to the good old days of stand up games at Aladdin's Castle!

Crowe - I appreciate the info, and it's good to know you're still around! :ooook:

DP
Foxdye

Post by Foxdye »

Well, apologies if people think this reply is late :oops: : But I've always been a gamer, in fact as young boy I had the very first home video system. It was called Oddessy, and it was so basic you have to stick an overlay on to the TV screen to change games. The on screen icons were little more than the old ping pong bat and ball pub thoy machines..

Anyway, as to modern formats PC games has the advantage of downloading patches, such as mods, or upgrades, and are easier to interact with on line. Also cheaper. And the graphics can be amazing. However, they can be a pain in the ass technically, the new games always put a strain on your PC's capabilities, because they are always moving forwards.

DP mentions war games, I think PC is best for those type of games. But for sports I prefer the PS2. Unless you get a game pad for PC it is not possibl to get the proper feel of games using only a keyboard.

Nyl, I too am a lover of Pro Evo 6 on PS2 ;) In fact, I've loved this series ever since it first came out on the SNES! This version is hard to score a goal on though, it has come close to going through my window a few times :crash:

Just my take on the escapism of computer gaming.
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Foxdye wrote: This version is hard to score a goal on though, it has come close to going through my window a few times
100% agree but...it's SO MUCH worth the effort!!! :ooook:
Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.