Videos from iPhone are grainy, what do I do?

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Feet_Guy129

Videos from iPhone are grainy, what do I do?

Post by Feet_Guy129 »

I got a refurbished iPhone about 3 weeks ago from Amazon and a couple days ago I filmed my first candid on it, but theres a really annoying problem. When I zoom in all the way the video turns a little grainy. The library I filmed in has decent lighting and woman's feet were lit up well, but the video still is a little grainy. I filmed in 4k 60fps but the grainy thing wont go away. What can I do about it? The woman was about 20 feet away from where I was. I'm afraid to go too close with my phone so I'm kind of forced to film at a distance for now.

Mr. Mike

Re: Videos from iPhone are grainy, what do I do?

Post by Mr. Mike »

Once you start to zoom, especially all the way you are going to lose video quality
tobydole

Post by tobydole »

Cell phone camera lenses, at least the ones I know of, are all of a fixed focal length. So there is no true way to "zoom" except for shitty quality digital zoom, which as you found out... is shitty. Google/Samsung and Apple use software to make it look *better* but it's not magic. If your phone has more than one lens, try playing with the other lens and see if it has a better focal length. There are always trade offs. Generally speaking the phone's main camera lens is always the best quality and unfortunately it is usually fairly wide.

If you want proper zoom ('optical', where you can adjust the focal length) you need to research camcorders or DSLRs and the like. Which come with a lot higher risk for candids.

I never use digital zoom. It always fucks with the quality than just leaving it alone, and since you can't really stare at the screen while recording you have no idea if it's actually ok or not. You can always crop later. Since you are recording it in 4k you can always crop it to 1080p while editing, which will basically give you a little bit zoomed in clip at 1080p quality.

For cell candids, if you want to get closer... you got to move closer. Or deal with being far away. Maybe some zoom will help in your situation.
Collegetownstudios

Post by Collegetownstudios »

tobydole wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:15 am Cell....situation.
Toby Speaks the truth.

You said that you are afraid to get closer. Well, then you will have to either conquer your fear, or dwell in misery with your unmet need for good quality candids.
JWCooley126

Post by JWCooley126 »

Outside of a professional camera don't expect high quality candids from a distance. I miss the college days with the study cubicles where it was very easy to catch close up shoeplay and shoe removal without getting caught. Jump at "good" opportunities for candids and even if its grainy enjoy the show.
tobydole

Post by tobydole »

Love the study cubicles. My college kinda sucked for closer up stuff but I'm still young enough to go to other random colleges and record. But that time will pass soon enough.

And I agree, a far away candid is better than no candid at all.