Hurricane approaching the data center where server located

All the news regarding the website and the forum. Users can only read and reply to the topics

Moderator: Moderators

nyllover
Admin
Admin

Hurricane approaching the data center where server located

Post by nyllover »

Guys, as you all know there is a hurricane approaching the Texas coast. That is were my server is located. Here is the message that the datacenter staff posted today:
Disaster planning is currently and has been underway for some time. Anytime we have a potential storm, we reassess our current level of readiness.

Should the hurricane make a direct path for the upper Texas coast, we will operate our core services with a limited staff so that the bulk of our employees can be with their families.

Employees will be on hand to handle emergency repairs and tickets. Routine tickets and upgrades will most probably have a delayed response.

As an extra precaution, we have even sourced an additional rental generator. While this unit would not be needed for a brief outage, if we were top experience a loss of power lasting several days, we would need to perform normal maintenance on our generators, and this would give us a generator to run while that maintenance is taking place. Maintenance such as oil changes is required under our operating specifications every 100 to 150 hours, meaning that we would need to perform maintenance sometime after 4-5 days.

All total, we have in excess of 10,000 gallons of fuel on site. We have guaranteed contracts for fuel delivery and two fuel depots are located within 2 miles of our facility.

Our staff is working to ensure an uninterrupted continuity of service.

While I am current attending to business out of town, I have made arrangements to return to Houston on Wednesday and will weather the storm with our employees in one of our facilities.

We anticipate that the coming storm will have no impact on our operations. However, we are prepared to deal with any eventuality.
As you can see... i didn't get just "one" server hosting company....i choosed one of the best :ooook:

My deep appreciation to all of them. They are really great! :noworthy:

Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Thank you very much Nyllover, we all appreciate what you have done for us maintaining this wonderful site! :noworthy:
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Looks like they have the bases covered. Good choice on these guys for being so proactive.

I like the fact they mention the fuel supply situation. :ooook: I don't know who these guys are but I wonder if I could express them a couple of cases of MREs before the storm hits? From the sound of the email I would guess they have rations and water covered. Hopefully they didn't forget about health and hygiene. Nothing lowers morale more than a lack of toilet facilities...or worse toilet paper.

Well, thanks for the heads up. As always I am watching the situation.

DP
Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Second post because something occurred to me after I'd hit enter, and I cannot edit the previous entry.

Wikipedia has the best information so far on <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita">Hurricane Rita</a>. There are also a variety of links at the bottom of the page for news and current local conditions.

Sound off if you are a member in any of the affected areas.

Best wishes,

DP

ykantickleme

[ENG] reply

Post by ykantickleme »

Yes, Nyl, obiously you did!!! And you are not pulling any punches yourself! :ooook:

Thank you Nyllover for the update!! I hope and pray we don't have another Katrina!!!
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

My sentiments exactly! :)
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

It seems that everything went fine!! :ooook:
It's all good here.

The brunt of the storm is hitting hard in East Texas, that is well east of Houston.

Wind and some rain in the area of the data centers.

We have been on generator power since 6pm last night as a precaution.

We never lost grid power.

All of our upstream providers and local loop providers have been on line through the duration.

No network disruptions at all.

No damage at DC1 or at DC2.

BTW -

Patrick was outside at 4 am checking the temps on the generators.

As always thanks for your continued support and concern.
And this is a picture taken a few minutes ago from a webcam installed inside the datacenter. The sky seems almost clear! :ooook:

Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Outstanding! Those guys seem to be on the ball with preparations and assuring their customers that operations will continue as normal.

Hurricane season will not end until 30 November, so we still have a long way to go. This season will unfortunately break many records, and there are still four formal hurricane names ready to be used. It's likely the World Metorological Organization will retire the name "Katrina" sometime soon.

It's all very humbling. As I've said before we live at the whim of the planet, and despite our best efforts the planet will win every single time.

Best wishes to all of us. Think, plan, prepare and be brave.

DP

ykantickleme

[ENG] reply

Post by ykantickleme »

AMEN, DP, AMEN!!! :)
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Thank God Rita did not cause as much damage as Katrina did!