[ENG] UPN Cancels "Enterprise"

Anything, really ANYTHING that comes up in your brain!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

[ENG] UPN Cancels "Enterprise"

Post by Dead Parrot »

If you're a Star Trek fan you probably already knew that <a href="http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/n ... /9469.html"> UPN has cancelled Enterprise.</a>

I've only seen a few episodes of the show and so can't comment on the overall quality, which I've heard very mixed things about.

I really enjoy Star Trek, but it needs a rest. With an almost continuous diet of DS9, VOY and ENT over the years the franchise is just tired. Now hopefully we can get more original thinking, like <a href="http://www.tvtome.com/Firefly/">Firefly</a> and <a href="http://www.tvtome.com/Farscape/">Farscape</a>.

So far I've managed to see part of the pilot of the new Battlestar Galactica, and it was very good. It's nice to see the direction they've taken the concept.

Sci-fi is a big interest of mine, so it's been difficult to be without a TV sometimes. With most TV and movies focusing on special effects and skin it's hard to find a good story and compelling characters.

Having said that I have high hopes for the new incarnation of <a href="http://www.tvtome.com/DoctorWho/">Doctor Who</a>.

Of course, there's always reruns and fanfic!
:lol:
DP

Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
ykantickleme

[ENG] reply

Post by ykantickleme »

Hello! I've been following the series since the beginning and I thought, at first, it had promise. It did show some things I had not seen before, like where did the standard "Red Alert"(you know, when all systems on the ship power up in an emergency, called "Reid Alert" at first, after LT. Malcolm Reid made the modifications) came from, and the hand held Phased Pistols, Phased Cannons, and, my favorite, Photonic torpetoes, and they finally achived Warp Factor 5! But, as usual, it is the ratings that count. :(

Granted, maybe it is time to give it a rest, but I still think they should wrap things up with one more season. I would like to see T'Pol and "Trip" get together, and if Capt. Archer and Capt. Martinez (Colombia, NX-02) will hit it off. But I'm of the engineering type. I want to see what led up to the original design of the Constitution class Enterprise (NCC-1701)! Perhaps the "Xindi Invasion" and the "Temporal Cold War" were too futuristic for the viewers to follow, but they have recently been making up for it in this current season. Like where did the "Augments"came from. (Mr. Brent Spiner added an excellent touch!) I believe the fans were looking for originality, and like any show, it takes time to find it. The series still shows promise, but that is my opinion.

Star Trek is still one of the best space sagas ever created. I would hate it if it just disappeared. Yes, these are the words of a die hard fan!!!

Perhaps something fresh will come up. I hope Mr. Rick Berman and crew don't give up!

May they all "Live Long, and Prosper". 8)
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Re: [ENG] reply

Post by Dead Parrot »

ykantickleme wrote:Star Trek is still one of the best space sagas ever created. I would hate it if it just disappeared. Yes, these are the words of a die hard fan!!!
Nice to see another fan on the board. :)
ykantickleme wrote:Hello! I've been following the series since the beginning and I thought, at first, it had promise.
From what I saw I thought they played it too much like TNG as far as operations went. I would have preferred to see them invest more time in logistics and repairs. Without replicators and an established network of starbases they'd really need to track their food, water and parts consumption. Voyager made this mistake too, and that was another series with a lot of promise.
ykantickleme wrote:Granted, maybe it is time to give it a rest, but I still think they should wrap things up with one more season.
Now that the TNG movies have ended I predict we will see at least one feature film for ENT.
ykantickleme wrote:Perhaps the "Xindi Invasion" and the "Temporal Cold War" were too futuristic for the viewers to follow, but they have recently been making up for it in this current season.
I think sometimes any sci-fi show relies too much on "another war" plotline. The appeal of Star Trek has always been to take various human issues and put a sci-fi twist on them. That's what made The Original Series so powerful and timeless. DS9 was able to get away with the Dominion War because they had such an established fanbase, characters and situation.

ENT should have concentrated on their original premise: the first Starship Enterprise exploring new worlds and seeking out new life. There's tons of stories that you could mine from that idea: cultural differences, xenophobia, differing styles of governance and standards (the whole "fish out of water" storyline). I think that by starting more war plotlines they copped out on original storytelling.
ykantickleme wrote:Perhaps something fresh will come up. I hope Mr. Rick Berman and crew don't give up!
I really believe that Berman and company are part of the problem. That's not to say they are bad folks, it's just that they have been involved in Trek for so long that it's become routine. If Trek is to be revitalized then the current crew needs to go and a new crop of people need to come on board.

Star Trek has such a huge fanbase, and so many fanfic writers that I believe the proper approach would yield several seasons worth of material for a new show. And it doesn't matter what the setting of that show is as long as you tell a good story. With any sci-fi, give me great characters and present a great story. That's what will keep me coming back.

If nothing else we have hundreds of episodes from multiple series (including The Animated Series!) to draw upon. There are fanfics, some of them VERY good, new novels published every month and web based series made by fans.

Star Trek will not go away, it's too deeply entrenched in the national consciousness. It will be back in some form or other.

As James T. Kirk would say, the possibilities are endless.

DP
ykantickleme

[ENG] reply

Post by ykantickleme »

Ditto on all you said DP! Especially your comment on Berman & Co. I really miss DS9, but ENT should have stuck to more on what you said, like food supplies and establishing starbases, and how does a universal translator work? I'm working on the DVD Series of DS9. The others will follow soon.

We're talking about humans in space here; a fact that I'd like to see more of, much more, and a little more realism would not hurt.

Thank DP! Nice to know there are other sci-fi fans in the forum! 8)

Note: I did enjoy the Seasons One and Two of ENT very much!
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Re: [ENG] reply

Post by Dead Parrot »

ykantickleme wrote:I really miss DS9
DS9 stands out because it represented the "dark side" of Star Trek. The characters were well rounded because they were like all of us: flawed. That was something TNG didn't really dwell upon (except for the wonderful character of Reginald Barclay and a few episodes like the one where Deanna lost her empathic ability).
ykantickleme wrote: ENT should have stuck to more on what you said, like food supplies and establishing starbases
I know it's been said before but it should have been analagous to life on a modern military vessel (submarine/aircraft carrier) but without the vast logistical tail. It would have forced them to be more frugal and innovative, which would have helped to drive the story.
ykantickleme wrote:and how does a universal translator work?
I like the fact they don't have one for ENT. Besides being an excuse for the babe character of Hoshi it puts added tension and twits (or it SHOULD anyway) on encounters with new species. Remember "Darmok" from TNG? :o

I'm betting on an ENT feature film, and they might address the Universal Translator question there. I suppose it will be developed with the help of the Vulcans or Andorians.
ykantickleme wrote:Thank DP! Nice to know there are other sci-fi fans in the forum! 8)
I enjoy sci-fi very much. It's difficult being without a TV. I suppose when I buy a new computer I should get one with a DVD-ROM so I can rent and buy DVDs. I'm chomping at the bit to watch Firefly! I've heard so many good things about that series from like minded folks. Hopefully the feature film will be just as good.
ykantickleme

[ENG] reply

Post by ykantickleme »

Yea DP, I remember the TNG episode "Darmok", a classic episode. You're right, a translator would defeat the purpose.