27 March 2005: Good & Bad news

All the news regarding the website and the forum. Users can only read and reply to the topics

Moderator: Moderators

nyllover
Admin
Admin

27 March 2005: Good & Bad news

Post by nyllover »

Hello guys. I'm writing this message because i believe we are a community, and for this reason i want to keep you updated on everything regarding the website.
The good news is: the website is having a MASSIVE success with more than 1.200.000 pages viewed in february and more than 1.300.000 this month.
The bad news is: i have to reduce the number of new videos coming online each month.
Why? The hosting company of the server obviously puts a limit on the amount of data that can be transferred each month. Considering the money i'm paying, this limit is surely one of the biggest in the internet: 1000 GB. Yes, it's correct. One thousands gigabytes per month. Huge isn't it?
If we go over that limit nothing will happen to the website: they will just ask me a (large) amount of money. This month we will easily reach 900GB, and we had just 4 new videos coming up in this period!! :o
Look at the visits in the last months:

Therefore i don't think i need to explain you the reason why, from now on, there will be two new videos every 15 days or one every week (i still have to decide what's best): to make the situation better i will dedicate more updates to the pictures and stories section....that's all i can do really.

The only good side of this is that.... i know what to put online for the next.... year or so! I have SO many videos that you guys sent me!!! :hug:

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Thanks for the info. I can't believe the baby is about to outgrow it's britches again!:o

DP
njshore32

Post by njshore32 »

i think you should go with the 1 movie a week thing instead of the other option. i'd rather have one movie a week than wait like 2 weeks to see a couple.
kingdom

Post by kingdom »

I don't see any of this as bad news Nyllover. I see it as a triumphant success in your website. Congratulations. Big WOW to you.
ILF
Mod
Mod

Post by ILF »

Well I guess congradulations are in order on the continued growing success of this site.

It seems to me that with the continued growth, by the end of the summer it could turn into only one video per month? Oh no!!! :what:

What are the short term and long term solutions for this issue, Nyl?

Should we compress our clips before sending them to you?

Is there anything that can be deleted to save data space?

How much do you pay monthly??? Yearly???

Let us combine some brain power on this fellas.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

I'm always willing to ante up some cash.

Some alternatives:
1) Purge the Yahoo Groups of all files and transfer the least popular scenes on the site (5 or below on ratings) to the Yahoo Groups.
This would would require a lot of work though.

2) No more off-topic videos. I love them but perhaps we should rethink having them on the site. Maybe another Yahoo Group?

3) Contribution section. I don't know how much traffic you get on that page. Would it save a significant amount of space to get rid of it?

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Well...first of all..thanks for all these answers guys, it means you all care :)

I'll give you some more detailed informations:

Server:
I pay 120$ each month (luckly, about 40% of it comes from advertisements on the site). And for this money i have 1000GB of TRANSFER (not space). Space is not an issue, i have plenty of it. It's the data transferred each month that is the problem. An example: 100 people downloading a file of 10MB results in 1GB of data transferred...

Yahoo group:
i don't think is a solution because of the massive work it would require to keep it updated

Contributes section:
no, it doesn't bring much traffic really, i would leave it where it is

Off Topic:
Yes, this is the section that actually takes away much traffic but.... i love it :( And i'm proud of some of the videos there :( So i wouldn't want to remove it, especially the candid one :(

Possible solutions:
Use one of those free services like http://www.rapidshare.de/ where you can host files for free.
Good because: it's free and the files wouldn't be on my server
Bad because: a file gets deleted if nobody downloads it for some days, so this can't be used for old files that not many people download...perhaps i could use it for new files? Like putting them there until they get deleted, and then move them on the site?

Transform the offtopic/candid section into a membership section, asking something like 5$ per month to have access.
Good because: it would surely reduce the traffic and it would leave the main part of the site free for everyone
Bad because: i DON'T like to ask for money

Buy a bigger server.
Good because: server more reliable, faster, more band each month
Bad because: well...it's expensive: 239$ a month for a server that has "just" 1500 GB of transfer

In any case, what will happen in short terms is this:

- This month we will go over 1000GB, let's see what happens. Usually they send a warning saying "don't do it again or we will have to ask for more money". So let's see.
- I'll do what i said in the first message, less new videos each month.
- We'll see how it goes in the next few months, i believe we can remain "safe" with 4 new movies each month. :)

And thanks to all of you for your support :)
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Whatever you need just ask. You've got some hard core supporters here who I'm sure will jump to help out.

DP
kingdom

Post by kingdom »

It's so generous of you to consider the alternatives for the site. The heavy traffic flow and data transfer seems like the biggest problem you have to face right now. Keep us updated pls Nyllover.
camshaft

Post by camshaft »

nyllover, you definitely need to do some advertising. Not even so much to pay any extra expenses for exceeding the 1,000 GIG issue, that's not even what I mean. I know you get satisfaction out of doing all of this, but you might as well make some serious dough on the side. It's probably never been an issue for you to make money off of this site, but there's SO much money to be made with the amount of hits you get!

Now I'm not suggest you start a membership site (unless you want to cause my heart to stop beating right now!), but you should definitely throw in some advertising. None of those pop-ups or anything like that -- or maybe just a subtle one-window, one-click pop-up when you go to the main site, for example. I guarantee there are people who would love to advertise here... adult sites, of course. Plus I'm sure there'd be certain BENEFITS for you, of course... :lol:
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

First of all... i added to the first message of the topic a graphic of the visits in the last months... 8)
camshaft wrote:I guarantee there are people who would love to advertise here... adult sites, of course. Plus I'm sure there'd be certain BENEFITS for you, of course... :lol:
I know. I used to have popups about one year ago...but that made truly unhappy some of the "main" guys of this forum, those people that i have to thank each day for all the help they give me by sending videos, joining the forum, telling me about new scenes and so on.... and i don't want that to happen again. That's why popups are just in the candid section.
I'm trying to put some advertisements as you can see in some pages, but i don't want to put popups anymore.
Right now i have a job, and i think i can go on paying this money.

Perhaps what i could do is put on the main page the Paypal button to let you donate money to the site. So that who wants to help could do it, who doesn't want to do it, would not be forced to see popups.

Do you guys think this could be a bad thing to do? Would you get the idea that i'm trying to make money out of our community? Because honestly, all i care of more is your opinion :)
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

I am more than willing to help financially. A Paypal button would work for me.

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Thanks for that DP, i will maybe put the PayPal link there. Even if, thinking about it, this would not solve the traffic problem because i could not rely on donations to get a new server (well i don't think i would). But any help is appreciated of course.. i do this for fun, and if i can spend less money doing it...i'm just more than happy of course :wink:

Anyway... i found a solution and i'm going to implement it in the next days. Here's what i'm planning to do.

For every video (at least for the new ones, i'll move to this "new" system the old ones later) i will provide more than one link to download:
- Emule link
- BitTorrent link (still not sure of this, as it seems harder to implement)
- RapidShare link
- Website link (the one that is there now)
The last one will be available only 7 days of each month. The system will decide when to make the video available by itself with this simple logic: 15 days after the date the video was released, for 7 days.
So if a video was first released on the site the 1st of a month, it will be available every month from the 16th to the 23rd.

Don't know if it's clear, but anyway i already started to apply this logic to the candid videos. You can make some tests if you want by looking at the "online since" date of them.

Complicated? Well maybe....but i think it will surely save traffic...and the videos will be available from many different sources.

Sometimes....i feel like a genius... :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Allright...done. Every video of the site is now available on Emule as well.

Now...let's wait for the first one who will say "hey! you can't do this! where are the videos? Emule is slow!" :P

I like this solution. And be in mind that new videos will always be available on Rapid Share too.

In a few words...i believe i solved the problem. Perhaps it's not a solution you will all like....but i do. A lot. :mrgreen:

By the way...if you use Emule... feel free to put the videos you downloaded from this website on share. So that people will find them more easily if they try to get them from there :) Thank you :)
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

OK, I'll have to take a look at this. You did a lot of work!

The only thing I know about mules is what I read in Westerns. Let me play around with the new system but it looks like you found a way around the problem.

I'll let you know in a couple of days.

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Ehy DP....first of all..... WOW! Nice picture this time!!!! :love: INTENSE loook!!! :o

Then... before taking a look, wait for this week's update. You'll see that the videos i'll put (still don't know which ones or which one) will be available on RapidShare too. And that's the place where i think people with a slower connection should go to download them.
Feeture Feature

Post by Feeture Feature »

Rapidshare worked fine for me. I think your solution is a great one. You are a genius with all you have done with this site in the past year.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Nyllover - you didn't like my April Fool's Day avatar? 8) I wish I had thought about that ahead of time or I'd have come up with a prank.

I'm downloading the scenes using RapidShare. Slow yes, but I can work on other things while it's in action.

Everything looks good.

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Dead Parrot wrote:Nyllover - you didn't like my April Fool's Day avatar? 8)
No, i prefer much more this one :lol:
ykantickleme

Good News/Bad News reply

Post by ykantickleme »

O. K. then Nyllover, your the boss, and, no, you don't have to explain, but I'm glad you did. I had no idea what it takes to maintain a server, but I now have a greater appreciation of this website, and what you do to keep and maintain it. I support you Nyllover!

And thank you very much!!!