Hurricane Season Begins 1 June 2005

Anything, really ANYTHING that comes up in your brain!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Hurricane Season Begins 1 June 2005

Post by Dead Parrot »

We're just a couple of weeks away from <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane">hurricane</a> season.

For those of you along the coasts here's some good links.

<a href="http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/">The National Hurricane Center</a> website. They cover the Pacific Ocean too.

<a href="http://www.hurricanehunters.com/">The 53d Weather Reconnaissance Squadron</a> aka The Hurricane Hunters. They have not updated their site yet for the 2005 season, but there's a lot of great info and history there.

Here's a great graphic about hurricane hunting, although the example they use are <a href="http://www.aoc.noaa.gov/index.html">NOAA aircraft</a> rather than the 53d WRS (USAF Reserve).

Having been through several hurricanes and tropical storms I can only hope that we have a quiet year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

DP

Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

So much for my optimism.

It looks as though that bitch Katrina is headed right for Louisiana. This will be a worst case scenario situation for New Orleans because the city is below sea level.

If you're on the Gulf Coast then hang on. I'm pulling for you, and believe me I know what you're going through.

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

I agree DP... it's somehow unique and scaring what is happening there...well, what happened.
Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

We should all be happy with what we have! :hug:
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

No matter your location:

1. Keep yourself in reasonably good physical condition.
2. Have a bug out bag.
3. Have a bug out plan to a safe remote site.
4. Stockpile some goodies at your place and your remote site.
5. Stay informed of coming "shit hitting the fan" situations.
6. Be prepared to move by means other than a car.
7. Never, ever become a refugee.

DP
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I have been watching the tube keeping abreast of how the people down south have been handling this tragedy. It is sad to see so many people who have lost spouses, kids, relatives, and friends! My heart goes out to them all! But, when I see people loot stores and shops stealing T.V.s, Video Games, and VCR's it makes me sick!! How can people be so selfish, and greedy just thinking of material items of luxury in the aftermath of a lifetaking natural disaster? Only God Knows!!!!!!!! :imsad:
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

bigfoot wrote:How can people be so selfish, and greedy just thinking of material items of luxury in the aftermath of a lifetaking natural disaster?
Most Americans are conditioned for instant gratification. They haven't thought this thing through, otherwise they'd know there's no place to take that stuff, no electricity to run it, and they'll be dumping it anyway in the quest for water and food.

If you're interested in making donations to charities then take a look here. Thanks to Leya at Bay City Blues for compiling this list. These are not links, so just plug them into your browser.

American Red Cross
America&#8217;s Second Harvest
B'nai B'rith
Catholic Charities USA
Charity Hospital in New Orleans
Church World Service
Convoy of Hope
Episcopal Relief & Development
Feed The Children
Habitat for Humanity, International
Hearts with Hands
Lutheran Disaster Response
Mennonite Disaster Service
Mercy Corps
National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
Noah's Wish
Operation Blessing
Plan USA
Salvation Army
Samaritan's Purse
Society of Saint Vincent de Paul
The Baton Rouge Area Foundation
United Methodist Committee on Relief
United Way for the Greater New Orleans Area
Water Missions International

I'd urge all of you to take some time to think about this situation and how you would fare if a major disaster struck your area. Think, plan and prepare. Please post any questions you may have.

DP
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

This has been probably been the worst year for hurricanes in a while! I am just looking forward to the end of hurricane season, and may god bless those who were affected this year by these natural disasters! :imsad:
kingdom

Post by kingdom »

Yeah but brace yourself for BLIZZARD season. Burrr...
ILF
Mod
Mod

Post by ILF »

Lots of disasters everywhere. The potential pandemic of Bird Flu as well?!?!

Signs that the end is near?
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

You never know! :S
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

ILF wrote:Lots of disasters everywhere. Signs that the end is near?
Nope, one word: ratings. We live in a 24 hour instant news cycle environment where isolated events all over the world, however devastating they may be, are driven into the ground by the major "news" networks. Death and disaster sells, and it's the same principle of everyone slowing down to look at a wreck on the side of the autobahn.

Last month it was the hurricanes, this month it's earthquakes and wildfires, the next, as Kingdom alluded, will be winter storms. To fill in the gaps there are always shark attacks, hot white chicks being abducted, and celebrity divorces. "News" shows love to hype up the boogeyman and make even the most munade happenings look like doomsday.

All of this can really be depressing which is why you should limit your network TV viewing to The Weather Channel. The rest of your TV time should be spent watching movies/DVDs or playing video games. If you must watch lamestream TV then focus on shows about your hobbies: cooking, hunting, fishing, carpentry and classic cars for example.

DP
Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I don't know about the rest of you, but hre on the East Coast we are getting flooded everyday with constant rain! :bleh: I believe everything should be in moderation, including the WEATHER!
ILF
Mod
Mod

Post by ILF »

Someday, I'm sure we'll be able to control more of the weather conditions. We already have some of that capability now.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Hope you are right! :ooook:
kingdom

Post by kingdom »

I just like to get out as often as i could. Watching t.v kind of just drains life away. Such a waste. Go out and live it!!!! Go look for danglers, dippers, before winter sets in and they're all wearing boots again. Damnit!