I have an idea for a candid camera build

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Feet_Guy129

I have an idea for a candid camera build

Post by Feet_Guy129 »

Ok, so I was playing around with my phone camera, and I figured out that if you put sunglasses over the phone's camera lens, it darkens the footage slightly (obviously), but here's the pro of this. It darkens your view of the camera lens. You can still see the lens cause of light shining on it but it's harder to see.

So here's my idea. My idea will use a gopro camera (maybe the session 5 because it's tiny). What if I made a small cube slightly larger than the gopro so it can fit inside it. The cube will be opaque on all sides except for the side where the lens will poke out. That side will be made of the same material that sunglasses use for their lens. Ideally the entire cube will be of the material, just 5 of the six sides blacked out by spray paint or something else. This will prevent people from seeing the camera inside. Most filming locations are pretty well lit, so the slightly darkened footage won't be a concern. Now imagine this cube had a keychain attachment thingy on the top, so I could put it on my backpack so it looks like an ordinary keychain. Maybe add some more random keychains so the black cube doesn't look out of place. gopro made an app that lets you pair your phone with the camera, and see what the camera is filming using your phone. So I'll know what I'm filming without having to check the gopro thing constantly.

Now the idea with this thing is to sit down in a food court, library, or maybe an outdoor restaurant and put my backpack down next to me which won't look out of place. In my other posts, I mentioned I'm paranoid about someone catching my filming, so the only time I use my phone is when there is cover between and the person, such as under a desk in a secluded area. This will also allow me to get close to the person since the camera will be disguised.

So will this work? What are some things I'm not considering?

tobydole

Re: I have an idea for a candid camera build

Post by tobydole »

Seems interesting. Most of my recording is indoors, so no go for me, but if you think it'll work I say go for it. The backpack is a good idea too, similar to how I record with my phone in my bag.

It might stand out kind of... and I worry about heat. But I guess all you can do is try and see how it goes. I'm not sure how hot the session 5 gets. I think the most important part is not staring at your shoeplayer, or ya know being weird around them. Anything too weird would stick out like a sore thumb lol.

Watch your back. And most online foot fetish communities are becoming increasingly hostile towards candid stuff, so I probably wouldn't go advertising this elsewhere.
Feet_Guy129

Re: I have an idea for a candid camera build

Post by Feet_Guy129 »

tobydole wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:36 am Seems interesting. Most of my recording is indoors, so no go for me, but if you think it'll work I say go for it. The backpack is a good idea too, similar to how I record with my phone in my bag.

It might stand out kind of... and I worry about heat. But I guess all you can do is try and see how it goes. I'm not sure how hot the session 5 gets. I think the most important part is not staring at your shoeplayer, or ya know being weird around them. Anything too weird would stick out like a sore thumb lol.

Watch your back. And most online foot fetish communities are becoming increasingly hostile towards candid stuff, so I probably wouldn't go advertising this elsewhere.
The heat might be a concern. The gopros are meant to be used while moving so there's natural cooling. Inside a cube not moving would trap heat. perhaps I could make the cube out of metal and put thermal paste between the camera and the cube then paint the entire cube with shiny black paint so it blends with the glass.

I wont have to stare at em either. all i'll have to do is open the gopro app on my phone and see what the camera is filming. if the camera is off-frame i can act like im adjusting my seating position and just happen to slightly kick the backpack