Favorite app/extension to download/archive videos?

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

What are you using primarily to download and archive videos? (Choose up to two)

DownloadHelper
No votes
yt-dlp
33%
Jdownloader
50%
Downthemall (extension for Firefox/Chrome/Edge)
17%
Screen recorder software
No votes

Total votes: 6

pumplover

Favorite app/extension to download/archive videos?

Post by pumplover »

With the puritanical wackos seeming to be running the internet these days (and I'm not talking about evangelical Christians), we all know that our favorite videos could be here one day and gone the next. So it's up to our community to try and preserve this content and hopefully repost it everywhere else possible to it can be enjoyed for years to come. My question is, what methods are you using to download favorite clips for posterity? The one thing I didn't include in my poll is an excellent tool called fdown.net - which allows you to download any facebook video where you can use the "Copy Link" option up in the right hand corner. I use it to archive any new content from Johnny Shoefoot, but other than that, I don't go on FB for shoeplay videos really. Personally, I pretty much live in yt-dlp and then I use Downthemall for any content outside of YT/Vimeo/Bilibili.

Please note, the poll allows you to choose up to two choices, since I find that there isn't really one tool that works for me in every situation.

tobydole

Re: Favorite app/extension to download/archive videos?

Post by tobydole »

yt-dlp on a remote VPS (server) is my method. I use rclone to move the files to Google Drive and also to back it up encrypted to Backblaze B2. Starting to implement a Hetzner Storage Box as well for storage. I really wish we had some collaborative archiving efforts going on here but oh well.

For Flickr I do manual downloading or use the tool "gallery-dl" (although I think it stopped working a while ago I haven't gotten around to updating it yet). For undownloadable flickrs there is a browser extension or userscript called "Max Image URL".
pumplover

Re: Favorite app/extension to download/archive videos?

Post by pumplover »

tobydole wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:03 am yt-dlp on a remote VPS (server) is my method. I use rclone to move the files to Google Drive and also to back it up encrypted to Backblaze B2. Starting to implement a Hetzner Storage Box as well for storage. I really wish we had some collaborative archiving efforts going on here but oh well.

For Flickr I do manual downloading or use the tool "gallery-dl" (although I think it stopped working a while ago I haven't gotten around to updating it yet). For undownloadable flickrs there is a browser extension or userscript called "Max Image URL".
Nice setup.

Most of what I have I'm dumping to a MEGA folder. My shoeplay collecting focuses mostly the video side of things

I use gallery-dl for a lot of sites, and the latest version just came out this past week. The best thing I ever picked up with it is to use the --download-archive (filename) option. Keeps me from getting duplicates.

I would say the best thing we have to anything collaborative would be that Google drive folder that Vern has setup

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Vrbvt4uqDg